Let start off by asking questions like:
1. Why does Facebook want to have this?
2. Will it be a feature or a separate product itself?
3. Is it targeted to users: a) Full Blind - Born or Later? b) Partially Blind c) Colour Blind?
Let me assume the answers to the above questions are:
1) Because it connects with FB's mission - to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together
2) It will be feature/features within FB.com
3) Fully Blind
Yes, it makes sense to target this segment, as FB's core principle is to connect people and assuming 7 B population with probably 5% will be blind, i.e. 35 M we will be targeting
Let me list down the needs or pain-points of blind people:
1. Obviously, they're not able to see but they are able to feel the environment nearby
2. They want to know what their friends and family are doing. They too want to socially connect by feeds, groups, and chat
3. The can't log in, check the posts or respond to them. In terms of the journey of a normal user: Login --> Feeds --> Check Posts --> Respond Posts --> Likes/Comments/React --> Update Profile --> Chat --> Check Groups --> Accept Friends/Send Friends. All these can't be done by the blind person
Let me look into solutions --> Blind Mode Option will be there to activate this feature:
1. Vibrations and Voice Based Triggers: For all the actions/triggers there can specific vibration and sound-based that will let the blind person know the context. Voice can be used to feed the response of the blind person. Impact - High, Delight - Medium, Cost - Medium
2. Human Assistant: Facebook can have a marketplace model or volunteering, where people can come and help blind people to physically connect and also update them about facebook's notifications. Impact - High, Delight - High, Cost - High
3. AI Bot: Facebook can build a bot that will speak and accept commands of the blind people. Impact - High, Delight - Medium, Cost - High
4. Neural Chips: Facebook can build a new tech, where a chip can surgically attach to people's head and that will transmit data in-form of data to head. If you think of it, photons are processed by our retina to perceive as images, the same thing can be used by creating an artificial neural network to connect with the brain. Impact - Medium, Delight - High, Cost - High
5. Using braille and Voice: Output will be by braille, Input will be voiced based. Impact - High, Delight - High, Cost - High
Based on this I will launch the solution 1 and make a small team to do a POC for 3.
1. #actions/#Voice Inputs --> Will make me understand usage and quality of feature
2. Average Time of Blind people of FB
3. DAU/WAU/MAU --> I feel blind people will not be using every day, so WAU will be the north metric. Also, we need to analysis the cohorts of DAU, WAU, and MAU