Why Facebook as a dating app:
The main reasons why facebook need to enter dating market:
- Huge database available to run machine learning algorithms to find suitable match.
- This is the time when everyone is putting into machine learning as it takes 2-3 years to train the classifiers.
- Also, the no other application can provide exact matches since those don't have the user's interest, demographics, authentic information available.
Engagement: Engagement on facebook has become a big issue these days so it needs something new to get the users back to facebook.
Resources: Sufficient resources available with the organisation.
Privacy: User's must not know other user's facebook id so as they can keep their privacy maintained.
One date at a time: This will allow the users to give sufficient time to each other and say a 'yes' or 'no' before moving forward.
Reasons for perfect match: Provide the information on the basis of which the users seem to be a perfect match. This will increase the trust of the users on the app.
Report bullying: The app must be able to report a person so that the person's history can be maintained (externally or internally).
Filter offensive comments: Most of the other apps don't have this feature so if we ban spam keywords (using natural language processing techniques), it can be the USP for the product.
Ideally there needs to be several test sets in different regions so the user's response can be tested for each pricing scheme. Still, the important factors to consider would be:
- Pricing of the other dating apps
- Product development status: Increase the product price slowly as we increase the features or as we make the app more flawless so as to keep the user's trust in the pricing vs features.
- Maintaining the break-even so as to keep the life-cycle long enough.
Product launch strategy:
- Keep testing your hypothesis, machine learning algorithms by creating small fb dating apps and showing users their perfect match and if they liked it.
- Launch product step-by-step in small regions, take sufficient feedback and then pivot the product as required.
- Get the approval of the app by online dating expert advisers so as to avoid the changes later.
Features for MVP:
The important features for a MVP could be some of the following features. We can choose the features in launching in different regions:
- Ask user's dating status: Single, ready-to-date, engaged
- Ask user's availability: 1 months, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year or so. It will help other user's to understand how long the relationship could be before making a decision if they want to take it forward.
- 2-minute video of a person about why someone should date him/ her. It will give a better chance to someone to present themselves in the most realistic and engaging manner.
- Auto-suggestions for silence-breakers: These will help people in creating a strong first impressions.
- Dating feedback of the users: It will alert other users of the nuances, keep the transparency also help the training algorithms about how to improve. It can prove to be the most important reason why to use the app.
Creating the Road-map:
The road-map may look something like:
Research whether to engage into the market: It will include analysing if we have the team ready, what are the other options to invest into, competitor study if they're able to solve market problems, analysing if the market is worth invest into.
Pre-launch tests: Creating small surveys about the problems users face.
Develop an MVP: Deciding the features for MVP and developing the app.
Beta testing: Launch for 1-3 months or up-to the period till we get sufficient feedback.
Pivot the product: Analyse how the market is responding to the app and whether to continue or not.
Launch into market: When sure if the app can be launched into particular regions, then launch the features step by step for a year and make the product the best version of itself.