1. What is the objective of a fb group ?
It is a platform for like minded individuals who share a common purpose or platform for people with common objective to meet.
If we breakdown down this objective, we can consider four broad themes which groups try to fulfil -
a. get tasks done : like find a roommate, carpool options in orange county etc)
b. share info : like group of CERN researchers debating/sharing findings, q&a among group members
c. promote commerce
d. promote networking
2. What does the current fb group product do?
It broadcasts posts of each member to everyone else, with the now popular tools of likes, comments, share fostering conversation among groups members on these posts.
3. Where can it improve?
If we look at objectives, groups in current form does the jobs (b) and (d) to a large extent, but there is significant scope for improvement for (a) and (c).
To make group achieve an intended task like finding a roommate or a buying of second hand items, the group should allow to follow through rest of the stuff that happens outside fb's purview like contacting the person, scheduling a visit, discussion of price, payment etc.
Now every group may have its own needs. For eg: group to find a roommate may not need the payment part, but the marketplace for second hand goods may need it. So the feature I am proposing is plug and play module which every group admin can choose depending on the purpose of the group.
The following modules can be thought of -
1. Contacting a person, discussion of price - fb group already has messenger for this use case
2. Scheduling a visit - calendar block can be integrated with messenger
3. payment - auction model can be built and integrated into messenger, for facilitating payment fb can introduce escrow service for holding payments until service delivery.
1. Group Admins who use these additional customization for expanding their services
2. DAU of users who use each of the tasks
3. successful transactions/ engagement of each of these extended use-cases.