What is Facebook group?
FB group is a forum that allows members to share posts, links, documents etc. It allows members to comment on the posts shared on the grup. The goal of FB groups is to build a communitu of people with similar thinking, background or interest. The goal of FB groups is inline with the company's goal: connecting people.
Let's ask clarifying question
- What does it mean by improving FB groups? Do we want to improve
- creationg of the page
- suggestion to the people to join fb group aka discovery of a group
- search of an fb group
- UI/UX of fb group
- Do we want to improve the web version or the app ?
- Do we want to improve FB group for a certain group? (group catering to markeplace? job search? celebrating events?
- What is the goal of improvement? Monetization? Increase in the number of the user? Engagement of the user?
Now, time to identify personas
- People creating groups -admins
- Members of the group
Let's say we want to increase the experience of a particular group catering to marketpalce (buying/selling) for members to increase their engagement. Long term goal is to increase the payment transcation through FB for mometization (FB to take a cut from the seller from a transaction)
- As a buyer i would like to see the product physically before buying it at a convenient time
- As a buyer I would like to get a refund if the product is defective and does not work
- As a buyer I would like to meet at a public place which is equidistant from my and the seller place
- As a buyer I would like to see which sellers are giving a product for free or free shipping
- As a buyer I would like to see posts of items which are still availble not sold out.
- As a buyer I would like to pay the seller online through card ( I believe FB already provides this service)
Let's see if we can tackle all problems with the a few solution
|option||Impact to user||Dev complexity|
|Share calendar to book appointment for physically seeing the product. FB already has the feature for its employees where they share the calendar with the other person and the other person can choose a time slot based on both the users availability. ||High (reduces the back and forth between seller and buyer to schedule a time)||Low |
|Integrate maps to show the mid point between the seller and the buyer. Once the appointment is scheduled, suggest both the parties public places where they can meet and is in the middle of both the parties. The users can select top 2-3 of their choices, the ones that matches can be then finalized.||High||Medium (would have to build the suggestion model, I believe FB is already integrated with maps thats why they are able to show the city of the seller)|
|Enhance search: In the search option provide ability to the user to select price range starting from free. provide option to see if the user accepts returns. provide option to see the items if they are still available. ||Medium||Medium (FB already has the data, it just needs to curate it and build API/UI on top of it)|
|Build a feature to provide status if the item is sold out , still available, pending transaction||Medium (sellers might not update the status instantaneously) ||Medium |
Based on the impact and complexity, I would go with solution 2 & 1.
Metrics to measure success
- After launching the above features for marketplace group, we can monitor
- Number of users booking appointment via fb calendar
- Number of users selecting common/mid point through suggestions
- Number of users buying/selling via the marketplace before and after the feature launch
- Churn rate of the user
- Feedback / escalations via support channel
- DAU before and after the changes
- Avg time spend by a user before and after the feature launch