Clarifying Questions: What do you mean by google refrigerator? Like a cooling divide that Google made? Should I consider any business goal other than designing the product?
Interviewer: I think Google wants to enter into Home improvement segment, after acquiring Nest, You can consider new market to entry.
Understood, The market is very saturated and highly competitive in household segment by companies such as LG, Whirlpool. So the barriers to entry will be very high and Google needs to standout in terms of offering this refrigerator by giving innovative solution.
I want to start from Customer Segment and then Personas and Analyze personas to design the Features of the product, then prioritize and layout success metrics, does that sounds good?
Customer Segmentation 1) Grocery Business 2) Restaurants 3) Households.
Household market is very saturated and believe every household has a refrigerator and the upgrade is not that frequent. So I would like to not focus on this segment for personas.
1) Grocery Business
Important aspects to consider/personas:
1) most of the Grocery stores do home delivery these days /use Prime Now etc. for delivery, this requires efficiently selecting fresh items from refrigerator
2)Cares about power saving when there is no inventory cost optimization
3) Large refrigerators, very hard to understand where there is space
4)Inventory management needs human effort/bandwidth
1)Similar like above
2) Ability to understand freshness if a major concern and needs human effort
3) make food on the go, even ice cream, instant cooling is taken care by liquid nitrogen in a default setting(which has some side effects on human hands- blisters, redness etc.)
4)Ability to generated reports to align with Food industry and Hygiene is a manual effort
Proposed design elements:
Features: 1)Capture number of item and inventory management with auto scanner bar code inside fridge 2) Works like vending machine with Last in First out order for Grocery Delivery service to optimize waste 3) power off or low when no inventory available-Inventory detection 4)Freshness report using Machine learning technology 5) Instant freezing technique which doesn’t needs liquid nitrogen 6) Ability to dismantled refrigerator segments to optimize space.
Prioritization 1) 2) 3 4) applicable to both segments, due to larger opportunity sizing, will tag these as high priorities
5) 6) Could be medium priority as more applicable to segment 2 only.
Next steps 1) Pricing and Market strategy 2) Success metrics define.