Understand what a mapping app is – is it a location map for the school campus, is it a mapping application which maps user’s needs to a particular service?
Secondly – school are we talking about elementary/middle/high schools or Universities?
Assume the answers to the questions are – Location map for school campus and the school is a University.
Application will run on a smartphone and will be downloaded by the user.
Goal of the application? – Interviewer says – Navigation, advertising of university events, emergency notification, friend finder.
Customer – Students, staff, faculty, parents
I will focus on the student. Other aspects of the app would need university entities to advertise events via an API.
-Need to know where something cool is happening.
– Quickest way to get to a building.
– Need to know where my friends are.
– Sales Locations
– Study space booking
– Find books and services within a library/building.
– Make friends
1. Map based interface of the University building (internal and external), with a UI to let the user input profile information.
2. Import contact information based on phone numbers and build a friend network
3. Allow users to advertise and request goods, events and services (say books or teaching services).
4. Click on building and reserve study spaces within that building.
5. Indoor navigation based on WiFi and other indoor beacons allowing you to quickly find books and way around a building.
6. Use profile information to find and meet people who are looking for friends.
7. Locate friends or a particular friend and display on the map.
8. Plot exit to safety on the app on receiving an emergency signal. Raise alarm
9. Display events. On clicking the event display information, potential ticket information etc.
Based on the Goals described above my prioritization for this problem will be based on both a Kano analysis as well as metrics of Benefit/Impact, Cost and Risk.
1 & 2 are essential for the app. H – Impact, M-Cost, L-Risk.
3. M-Impact, H-Cost, M-H-Risk – Risk due to having to monitor and make sure legal things are being advertised.
4. M-Impact, M-H Cost, L- Risk – Not a primary goal of the service, needs interaction with various university systems.
5. Indoor Navigation -> H-Impact, M-Cost, L-Risk – Another primary objective of this application
5. Book/service search indoors -> M-Impact, H-Cost, L-Risk. Not a primary goal of this application
6. M-Impact, H-Cost, H-Risk -> Potential legal issues, need to search to profiles and algorithm needs to work. People may be put off by bad results.
7. H-Impact, M-Cost, M-Risk -> Potential privacy issues as risk, Also an prime goal of this app.
8. H-Impact-M-Cost, L-Risk -> Needs integration with University infrastructure to plot directions. Primary goal of this application.
9. Primary goal of this event . H-Impact, M-Cost, L-Risk.
Based on the priority described above, I will choose to implement 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 at this time.
Now if the interviewer asks me about metrics.
Some metrics I would pay attention to
1. How many people know about the app.
2. Once they know, how many people download
3. Engagement time,
4. Retention metrics
5. Times when the user is re-routed or routed incorrectly
6. Feedback from the user.
7. Net Promoter Score