Design a restaurant App like Yelp for Restaurant Owners.
So I want to clarify that Yelp is meant for people to review restaurants, discover new ones, and is also a mini social network for reviewers. If I were to design one for restaurant owners, it would not make sense to do it in reverse (ie review for restaurant go-ers). I think it makes sense to design yelp for restaurant owners where they can review contractors, wholesalers, and interior decorators.
I’m going to go through a user story for a restaurant owner looking to start a new restaurant or improve an existing one.
Restaurant Owner gets an idea to start a restaurant -> finds partners -> looks for financing -> looks for a location -> looks for decorators/contractors -> looks for wholesalers -> looks for staff -> executes -> opens the restaurant
I think yelp can really help restaurant owners find potential partners to open the restaurant. Goal of this app would be to connect restaurant owners with companies in the restaurant industry to help owners open/improve their restaurants.
I want to identify some painpoints, although, I haven’t been a restaurant owner myself, so I am thinking of painpoints you get from googling and/or using craigslist.
1. Owners have a tough time finding reviews from likeminded individuals for companies in the restaurant business
2. Owners have a tough time comparing quotes from different wholesalers/contractors
3. Owners have a tough time discovering new businesses to partner with
4. Owners may be opening a new restaurant in a new area that they are not very familiar with
5. Owners want a way to connect with wholesalers based off of their list of ingredients
Here are some solutions to those problems
1. We will start a review website meant for administrators of restaurants. To ensure this, we may add some sort of background check to make sure this review website is filled with people that are in the restaurant industry and not just the general public.
2. We can create sections of the website where the owner can enter some ideas (ie: here are the ingredients I need, or I want to redecorate this area) and it gets promoted to nearby contractors and wholesalers to bid on.
3. This will be built in to the review website. But I want to make this more specific, we will also add in reviews for financiers and a way to apply for financing from great partners.
4. We want to add in location awareness and a map so we can have reviews from all around the country. We can also add a knowledgebase that keeps track of things like population to restaurant type. Contractors to restaurants, etc, so people can know if it makes sense to open their restaurant in a specific area.
5. I kind of solved this issue already with number 2. To bring this up another notch, we want to add in filters for specific food types. Like for fish, where is it raised (sustainable, ocean catching, from japan)
For a MVP, I want to rate it based off of Impact, differentiator, goal, and cost.
1. This will have the most impact and differentiates it from other websites. It also reaches out goal and has the highest cost (it’s essentially building the backbone of the app). There are risks with signing up relevant individuals as the population for restaurant individuals is much smaller than the general populace.
2. I think this impact will be high and differentiates it from other websites. It reaches our goal a little less since our goal did not originally state finding the best deal amongst contractors, however it does connect you with relevant businesses. The cost will be relatively high including finding contractors who are interested in this kind of system.
3. I think impact will be medium and differentiation is high. It reaches our goal but cost will be high for similar reasons to number 2.
4. Impact high, Differentiation is medium. Goal is high and cost is medium. Location awareness is a pretty integral part of the app.
5. I think adding specific filters for wholesale delivery of food is very important for the restaurant industry. Impact is high, differentiation is high, goal is high, and cost is is probably medium as it’s adding additional fields for wholesalers to fill out.
If I were to build a MVP, I would focus on recruitment of restaurant industry insiders, contractors, and wholesalers to build out the network. I would also build out 1,2,4,5 due to their relative high impact on owners and differentiates it from different websites.
In summary, if I’m building a yelp for restaurant owners, I want to focus on building a review website for contractors, wholesalers, and any other businesses that can help a restaurant owner improve their restaurants. i will build a review website and also a bid system allowing owners to discover new partners based off of their needs.