I would like to know
1. which scooter are we talking about (Ans – a)
a. 2 person scooter so that the owner/driver can offer the vacant seat to a rider
b. 1 person electric scooter that can be shared/rented to people by the owner.
2. Do we need a mobile or desktop application ? (Ans – Mobile)
Confirming that the business model is that the app connects owner/driver with riders so that they can scooter-pool together. For the initial design, I am assuming that the driver of the scooter is the owner as this would reduce complexity in design. Also, I believe we are not focusing on monetization for the business as of now. However, I will address the payment issues between driver and rider (Ans – yes to all)
Having understood the business, I will come up with personas, find their needs, build user stories, create solutions and evaluate them to create an MVP.
There are 3 Personas for our application
3. Customer Support who can remotely access application to help user resolve any issue
I will focus on Driver because other 2 do not matter if we cannot get Driver on-board first. This is the same reason why uber first on-boarded drivers and then opened it to riders.
Driver would generally be a person between 18-35 years of age who needs extra cash and can adjust with a stranger on a scooter for a ride to increase his/her income. I believe people 35 years are more likely to earn decent in comparison to the extra money they get by sharing their scooter. Of course, there can be people outside this range but I believe majority of drivers will be in this range. Few of the needs of drivers would be
1. Finding and confirming riders
2. Deciding a pickup point
3. Estimated fare
4. Payment and ride completion confirmation
Since we are focusing on MVP, I will build the most needed features which are 1, 3, and 4. So my user stories are
1. As an owner, I want to find riders and send them a confirmation so that I can start my ride
2. As an owner, I want to know the fare I will get so that I can decide whether it is meaningful for me or not
3. As an owner, I want a way to tell the system that I completed the ride and will be paid so that I can drive without any hesitation
Usually I will pick one of these user stories and create solutions to them but since MVP will not be complete without all these 3 user stories, I will create options of solutions for each and select one solution for each user story to build an MVP.
Solution to User Story 1 (US1):
1. Display list of all riders near owner’s location who are interested in going the destination selected by owner. This can have additional details on age, interest etc.
2. Let the owner find a rider by riders’ username
3. Blind Match from nearby riders going to owner’s destination
Solution to US2:
1. Owner decides and sends the fare to rider
2. We estimate the far using a) distance and fuel cost b) data from other rider with same start and end destination
3. Rider decided and sends the far to owner
Solution to US3:
1. Rider send the ride completion confirmation
2. Auto tracking using GPS co-ordinates of both driver and owner
3. For assurance, we can have a) credit card b) create a wallet where rider prepays if ride completes c) insure the payment to driver
I will evaluate solutions in each story on customer impact and ease of implementation (skipping this, fairly simple). After the evaluation, I selected 1 in US1, 2 in US2, 1 and 3a) in US3 for the MVP.