Facebook pages is a public space within facebook usually used by an organization, a business, a brand, or a public person (political leaders, artists) to promote their activity, gather a community and improve their notoriety.
People “likes” and subscribes to a page (they become "followers") in order to show their interest, interact directly with the page owner or the community, and get the page’s contents displayed on their feeds.
By “FB pages” I’ll be considering the whole product which means that I included the page on itself, its backend, and the posts and interactions of users with the contents from the page or displayed in his feed/shared.
I can see 2 differents areas that could be targeted to improve FBpages :
- <!--[endif]-->Followers’ side: increase enrollment, engagement, or conversion rate (for instance, % of followers liking/sharing contents; % of followers clicking on the “buy” button ; % of followers posting comments or questions on the page or a post)
- Brands/page owners’ side : Increase enrollment (new pages created), engagement (frequency of updates/publications on the page, or answers to questions and comments from followers), increase their use of FB marketing tools (and resulting revenue) such as sponsored publications
I think the priority goal might be (if hypothesis confirmed by analytics) increasing followers’ engagement as I assume that the more active a follower is on the page or interact with its posts, the more we can get from other features even before improving those ones : an active page/ lots of comments on a post might impact enrollment as people will be notify of their friends’ activity or will see the post and could thereby subscribe to it, more likes or shares would encourage the page owner to be more active and use FB marketing tools, etc.
Here is a list of different aspects that could be addressed :
- <!--[endif]-->Visibility of the Page posts in follower’s feed (algorithm, design)
- <!--[endif]-->Controls that the follower has on one page’s posts on his feed (settings such as frequency, shortcuts, sharing options (pin on my profile ?)
- <!--[endif]-->Display of followers contribution on the Page
- New ways to interact with one’s page
To prioritize from those different topics and maybe reject some of theses, I would check statistics (such as ratio of interaction (comments, likes, sharing options) with a page on the follower’s newsfeed and on the page itself) to understand users’ behavior better and evaluate the potential for improvement.
From my own user perspective, I’ve found that I lack some place for “me” on the page – what I mean is, especially for the pages on which I’m quite active – to be able to find easily the contents I’m interested in without having to scroll down between hundreds of publications from the Page to find what I was looking for – an article that I liked, a video, etc
I would suggest to create a section on the page that would gather the contents of a follower with the page : posts that he pinned, posts to which he replied, product he’s interesting in, so that he would also encourage the follower to use the page as the place where his “bookmarks” regarding this specific topic or person is gathered and encourage contribution as it won’t be (for the follower) as lost as it seems now. It should encourage pinning posts and visits on the Page more often. It would be a good place for displaying recommendations and related contents.
ABtest would be required. Success would be measured by following :
- Average number of pinned contents per user
- Visits on the new section
- Average number of visits on the Page per user
- Returning visitors
- % of enrollment from the page
- Overall interaction rates with a page : visits, posts, comments