I travel a lot and in order to plan a vacation, weather plays a very important role. In order to avoid any delays and diversions, I prefer to book all the attractions based on the weather.
Because I have iPhone, I am used to looking at the pre-installed weather app but it doesn't give me a lot of information to plan the travel for each day. I generally end up searching the weather on the app.
I can think of the below personas of the app
- Business like: mail delivery, airlines, constructions etc
I am going to stick to traveller persona. The goal of the improvement is to increase user engagement. Let's list their pain point
* As a traveller I would like to see predicted daily weather for the dates I am travelling and also suggestions for what kinds of clothes to bring.
* As a traveller I would also like to see hourly predicted wind and precipitation for the travel dates in order to plan the day ahead with any attractions.
* As a traveller, I would like to know if the destination weather has high pollen or dust allergy for the travel date
|Option||Impact to User||Dev Complexity|
|Allow user to select a certain date range and provide an "estimated" forecast based on history to the user. When showing the forecast for the date range, show small icons to suggest the kind of clothing to bring. Ex. If it is predicted to rain then show an "umbrella icon" ; If summer then show a "swimsuit icon" ||High||Low (the data is already available)|
|Allow a user to drill down to 7-days ahead forecast by hour and provide wind, humidity, pressure information ||Medium (might not be accurate)||Low (it is difficult to get the hourly data predicted)|
|Allow a user to select a date range and provide predicted information regarding any known allergies for the destination ||High||High (people with allergies can adjust their travel plan based on the information)|
Based on above I would go ahead with solution 1 & then 3. In order to measure the success, I would looke at the below metrics
* number of users selecting a date range and getting the weather information for a particular destination
* number of users viewing the "allergies" data
* average time spend/user (should increase)