Comprehend the problem:
1. Look at the demographic data and understand which users are not returning after 30 days. Broadly, using demography user base can be divided into younger generation (<22) and older generation (>22).
2. What stage the product is in that country and why? Product could be initial, growth, mature, decline phase. And in each phase the problem would mean different things. E.g. new users in initial phase are early adopters and them not returning to FB could mean product-market figment issue. I am going to assume FB is in growth phase.
I am going to concentrate on 1 persona i.e. younger generation.
Why are younger generation user not returning to FB after 30 days?
Let’s understand why they joined FB, their need is to connect to their social network and wider network so that they can develop good relationships and share their life(photos and videos) and world view.
The Use cases they would engage with FB could be:
1. Create, share and discover content with their network. Metric: avg. no. Of weekly content created. And avg. no. Of likes or share per week.
2. Engage with broader content pushed by FB posts especially around their interests. Metric: weekly car and weekly share
3. Interactions with their network either through content or group activities. Metric: no. Of groups joined and weekly contribution
4. Adding new connections. Metric: weekly connection added.
I will compare data with users who stayed on FB to prioritise my effort. At this stage, I would assume that users who stay back find more value in FB bcos of their connections vs users who leave there is not enough stickiness for them to stay around. So, I would prioritise UC4. I would then look at UC1 and 2 to improve engagement.
How can we improve the no. Of connections? Feature suggestions:
For this we have to check the ctr for ‘people suggestions’ and ‘invite’ features.
If CTR for ‘people suggestions’ is low it could be
A. Not enough folks to recommend
B. Feature not visible
Therefore, improve ‘people suggestions’ to not only display people to add but to follow (e.g. influencers).
Second, Show people suggestions at the top of my wall
Third, display as suggestions new connections added by anyone in my circle.
If invites sent out by the user is less, then improve invite feature.
Integrate with phone contact and allow users to send out invite using sms or whatsapp.
Improve the invite message by showcasing what FB has to offer.
For anyone joining using invite link add them to invitee network.
The above feature improvements should be tested using A/B testing and then rolled out widely to arrest the problem of users leaving FB by increasing their network.