Instagram is a social media platform that allows users to share photos, videos, stories, and live videos with their friends/followers. It also enables users to talk to/ message people. There are various filters available that users can use to make their stories and post look better/ more interesting. It also helps brands run advertisements.
Improve Instagram is a vague statement, there could be various things around which improvement could be required to increase revenue for the company, increase user engagement, increase retention. Here we'll try to solve for increased engagement
Users engage with Instagram with the following ways
1. Linking posts
2 commenting on posts
3. Creating posts
4. Creating stories
5. Watching stories
6. Messaging people
We can capture an increase in these activities per day to see if the steps we take to engage users are working
1. Frequent Users - users who create posts/stories daily. Use the messaging service and like/comment on other people's post daily
2. Casual users - users who use Instagram daily but post only occasionally. They like other peoples post though
3. Lite users - Users who don't use Instagram regularly
We'll look at the issues that Frequent users face and try to solve them as further increasing their activity would lead to overall engagement on the app
User pain points
1. Users post regularly, they have to come up with witty/likeable captions for all their posts, which takes a lot of searching outside the app
2. They have hundreds of post and if they want to check some older post it takes a lot of time
3. They have to check other peoples post for inspiration and again it talks a lot of time to find a particular post they want to check
4. It's difficult to look at followers activity if one person went on a post liking spree, the users have to scroll a lot to see other people's activities. Browsing other people's activities helps people discover new content and like different things.
I would like to address the 1st pain point as it is directly affecting people's ability to post more, who are already willing to post more.
1. Create a catalogue of quotes from famous people, books, authors, poems and make them searchable by tags like beach, tree, vacation, moods. Make it available on the screen where users are prompted to add a caption to the image so users can find their favourite quotes within Instagram and don't have to look anywhere else
2. Give users the option to like captions for posts and allow people adding posts to look at the most liked / trending captions to draw inspirations
3. Get people to add location and tags to their posts and based on the tags, location, and the image use ML to suggest captions
Out of these possible solutions, solution 1 would give users the most diverse options for captions which they could also relate to the most and hence drive maximum engagement.